Superior absorption due to unique 3D foam
When in contact with exudate, the 3D foam structure of Biatain® Silicone Ag conforms closely to the wound bed for superior absorption - even under compression.2,3 The unique 3D foam structure absorbs the exudate vertically and locks the fluid away within its structure, still leaving the wound moist for optimal moist wound healing conditions. The close contact to wound bed reduces dead space and minimizes exudate pooling which can lead to infection.4
Sustained silver release
Silver complex with documented effect on bacteria commonly found in infected non-healing wounds, including MRSA, VR-E, ESBL-producing bacteria and Pseudomonas.2,3 The silver profile provides a sustained release of silver during the entire wear time (up to 7 days).1
Gentle and secure fit
The silicone adhesive layer provides a secure fit to keep the dressing in place while ensuring minimal pain upon removal. The soft and flexible design of Biatain® Silicone Ag ensures a close fit to wound and body and the foam pad at skin level makes Biatain® Silicone Ag suitable to wear under compression.
Biatain® Silicone Ag has a 3-piece non-touch opening for an easy and aseptic application.
Biatain® Silicone Ag is a soft and conformable polyurethane foam dressing that contains an ionic silver complex homogeneously dispersed throughout the foam matrix. The dressing has a semi-permeable, bacteria- and waterproof top film and a soft silicone adhesive layer.
Biatain® Silicone Ag is indicated for a wide range of exuding wounds with delayed healing due to bacteria, or where there is a risk for infection, including leg ulcers, pressure ulcers, diabetic foot ulcers, second-degree burns, donor sites, postoperative wounds and traumatic wounds (e.g., skin abrasions, skin tears, cuts). Can be used with compression therapy.
When in contact with exudate, the 3D polymer foam conforms to the wound bed to ensure optimal absorption and delivery of silver ions into the wound.5,6,7
Biatain Silicone Ag has a sustained silver release level above what competitors can demonstrate from after approximately 12 hours of wear and throughout the entire wear time (up to 7 days) (ref: 6)
Biatain Silicone Ag contains a patented silver complex with broad antimicrobial effect on bacteria commonly found in infected wounds, including MRSA, VRE, ESBL and Pseudomonas.8,9
Biatain Silicone Ag has a new design with soft silicone adhesive contact layer for a secure fit to wound and body
Easy and aseptic application due to new 3-piece non-touch opening
- Burger C et al. Silver release profile and antibacterial effect of a new silver foam dressing with silicone adhesive. Presented at EWMA 2015 (Abstract 492).
- Ip M et al. Antimicrobial activities of silver dressings: an in vitro comparison. Journal of Medical Microbiology 2006;55:59-63.
- Basterzi Y et al. In-vitro comparison of antimicrobial efficacy of various wound dressing materials. Wounds July 2010.
- Cutting K et al. Topical silver-impregnated dressings and the importance of the dressing technology. International Wound Journal 2009; 6:396-402.
- Buchholz C. Presented at Wounds UK 2009
- Coloplast data on file 2014
- Coloplast data on file 2013
- Ip M et al. Journal of Medical Microbiology 2006;55:59-63
- Basterzi Y et al. Wounds 2010;22(7):165-170